Friday, August 9, 2013

They See Me Rollin'


Today was full of interesting things.  Yes, that's the best intro you're going to get from me.  I've been grading finals.

First, Roberto's friends Greg and Gabby are visiting from LA!  I'm having fun getting to know them and hanging out with nice people.  We've taken them to the "hot" eateries of Davis - Cafe Bernardo and Burgers and Brew - and for a quick stop at the Ye Olde Beer Shoppe.  They are the first in a series of friends we are going to see this weekend.  Honestly, I thought that having so many people visiting was going to be a pain. However, it's been nice having the distraction.  The anticipation of the second cycle is rattling Roberto.  Well, as much as Roberto can be rattled which is not much.  So with friends around, Roberto and I can focus on them instead of the possible horribleness of the chemotherapy.  But, seriously, I just watched the Top Gear Bolivia Special again and I don't know how many more times I can see it before my brain implodes.

Second, we saw the oncologist to touch base and discuss the progress of the chemotherapy.  The oncologist listened to Roberto's breathing and could hear that the right lung is now taking in air!  Hooray!  No more collapsed right lung!  Also, one of the cancer indicators in Roberto's blood has decreased dramatically.  It's count was in the 1000's and has dropped to the 200's.  :)  Roberto may not need to have a CT scan after the second cycle because the CT scan would be needed to determine if the chemotherapy is doing its job and clearly it is.  

Third, Roberto is losing a lot more hair now.  It hurts when he brushes his hair against the grain.  Normally this is not a problem, except that he has to wear a hat now to protect his head from the sun.  Roberto now looks like he played with fire - and fire won.  Roberto got so fed up with his hair that he took the sticky roller he was using to clean the pillow and took it to his head!  This is the result:

I helped him out and we got a good 10 sheets of hair off his head.  I had bought a Bounce brand of roller which leaves a fresh Bounce scent behind so Roberto's head smells like Bounce now.  After a while, he took a wet towel and started brushing his head in the bath tub.  I was going to get a picture of all the hair in the tub but Roberto was too quick for me and washed the tub out unintentionally.

If you can, please send Roberto a quick message and tell him to be Robostrong!  We need to gear up for the second cycle.  Also, if you want to send a card or anything, message me and I'll give you our address.

Cycle 1 - Day 19

2 comments:

  1. This is a great blog... so fun to read and good to hear about Rob's positive progress. To both you guys, I say, be ROBOSTRONG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I try my best to not make it dull but also informative. Oh wow, that sounded kinda dorky in my head.

    ReplyDelete