Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Surgery Day

5:27 am
We're awake somehow and at the hospital.  Roberto has checked in and now we're waiting on ... something.  I'm totally not sure what is going to happen next, but I'm trying not to let myself get too nervous.  I had five hours of restless sleep.  Perhaps now is a good time to drink some coffee...

6:11 am
Roberto is in the back patient area, and I'm waiting with him. I've confiscated his phone for now. Roberto is all cute in the patient gown that opens up in the back and he has little booties on his feet.



6:22 am
Roberto and I just realized that today is 11/12/13! That's some sort of good luck, right?  We briefly spoke to a nurse here and she lauded the skills of the surgeon. Apparently he is the best in northern CA. We've heard this before, so I don't think she was lying to make us less nervous or anything.

6:35 am
Another nurse is now getting his vitals and started an IV.  She has the Grey's Anatomy brand scrubs (call back to a previous post!).

7:13 am
We just spoke to the anesthesiologist. This surgery just got really scary.  If Roberto goes too far under, there's a chance his lung will collapse because the tumor is right on top of it. With a lung collapse, there's a chance of mortality. Also, Roberto is going to have a lot more tubes in him than we thought. He'll have an epidural, a central line, and some arterial line as well.

7:30 am
 Roberto's been wheeled away from us and we've been sent to the waiting area.  I could see Roberto getting a little scared as the nurse took him away, but I think he felt a little better when Pedro comforted him.  There's an interesting setup in the waiting room; they have TVs setup showing where patients are such as "in transit" and "in the OR."  We might be able to see when the surgery is done before the surgeon comes out to talk to us.  Okay, it's time to play the waiting game.

7:52 am
Here's a picture of Roberto before all the scary surgery talk.  I was able to make him laugh.  He shaved his mustache yesterday and I didn't realize that until this morning.


8:37 am
I started getting anxious about the surgery but then realized that they are half-way through.  I cannot believe Roberto is getting cut up and having things taken out of his body.  :'(  Just one more hour and Roberto will be in recovery.  Pedro and I might be able to go see him during that time, which will be nice.

9:21am
A couple of therapeutic dogs have come to visit all the people in the waiting room!  This is a nice distraction and the mood of the room definitely changed. There are a lot of people here today getting surgery.

9:35 am
No word yet.

9:44 am
I keep checking the TV with the patients statuses.  I feel like I'm compulsively checking sports scores.

9:51 am
Still no word.  :(

10:07 am
Is it wrong that I'm jealous of the other patients and patients' families whose surgeries are done?  Also, I think we chased some people away from us to the other side of the room.

10:11 am
Just got accosted by a person in the waiting room.  Awesome.  No, I do not want to listen to you expound about WEAVE.

10:18 am
OMG, she's on the other side of the room now, too.  Am I a terrible person???

10:24 am
I lied, she left the room completely.  *sob*  Patti just told me that I'm not a terrible person, though.  So I feel a little better.

10:40 am
I don't know what to say right now except that I can feel my emotions wanting to bubble out of me, but I won't let them.

10:44 am
I just exchanged a mutual, knowing look of concern with Pedro. *sigh*

10:51 am
There's an equal number of people playing Candy Crush that are reading books in here.  I'll let you mull over that number.  It's more than one.

*Taking a deep breath*   *Remembering to exhale*

10:58 am
I started a new post because Roberto is OUT OF SURGERY.

4 comments:

  1. The surgeon is just being extra-careful, which is why it's taking so long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good point.

    It's not completely obvious that I'm having trouble holding it together, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Martha said, being careful takes time. Roberto is in good hands. You're both in very good hands. You're doing great, and your sense of humor shines through. Now, take a deeeeeep breath.

    ReplyDelete