Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Is this it?

Roberto is doing great.  We compromised and he's on a 5 hour schedule for his pain medication.  He's also having an easier time moving around.  He still has random bits of adhesive on his skin, though.  No, we aren't lazy.  There are some parts of his body that are a bruised and tender from his stay at the hospital so we're just leaving the adhesive stay for a bit longer.  

Wednesday afternoon, Roberto will meet with the thoracic surgeon one last time.  Roberto will have the staples removed from his body (yikes!).  I'm fairly sure Roberto is at the end of his treatment.  The next step would have been radiation - but that's out of the picture because the teratoma tumor cells are dead.

Unfortunately, Roberto's cancer, specifically the seminoma, has a 50% chance of recurrence.  The seminoma was the cancer that responded well to chemotherapy but grew rapidly.  Roberto will have to be checked every couple of months or so to make sure that the cancer has not come back.

Honestly, this scares me.  The unknown of whether or not it will come back and if it will come back stronger and worse.  There's also the suffering that he may endure if he has to undergo chemotherapy again.  I didn't take Roberto for granted before (at least, I hope I didn't) and now I have even more motivation to enjoy every day I have with him.  :)

I hope this Friday will be the last post I'll write for this blog! 

1 comment:

  1. I hope it's the last one too! You're such an amazing woman K-Dawg. Roberto is so lucky you were there for him :)

    Okay, and he's pretty awesome forgetting through it too :P

    ReplyDelete