Thursday, August 1, 2013

Might Contain Microbes

I can finally say with confidence that Roberto is back!  He took his two precious cars out for some quality time and even gave them a good wash.  I'm not jealous of the cars!  I'm not!  *sigh*  Playing videogames and working on his cars - classic Roberto.

Today, Roberto got two cases of Spindrift soda from Shelly!  I got to try one today and it was pretty tasty!  This is a good time to mention, before we possibly get more goodies (hey, I can hope!), that Roberto has a somewhat restricted diet.  Chemotherapy weakens the immune system, so he cannot have foods that might contain microbes.  Basically, no unpasteurized foods, raw fruits or veggies unless they have peels or can be cleaned well, and no sushi or rare steaks.  Finally, I was able to stop Roberto from binging on sushi every day (just kidding!).

With all the focus on returning to some resemblance of normalcy, I got a small reminder of the upheaval our lives have taken; I had to speak with the florist for our wedding and explain why the wedding is postponed.  At least this was better than the email reminder I received from the caterer to setup the dinner menu (this was *after* I had already spoken with the caterer!).  My biggest worry a month ago was picking the bridesmaids' shoes. 

We've had an enormous outpouring of love since Roberto posted a note on Facebook about his treatment.  The positive energy has been truly uplifting.  Please, keep sending messages and emails.  They will be most important when Roberto starts the second cycle on August 12th.  Aubrey had the great idea of making "Robostrong" bracelets through http://www.reminderband.com/ .  I'm gonna try to look into this when I get a chance.  

(Cycle 1 - Day 10)

2 comments:

  1. That's a good idea. What if we do a kickstarter and aim to raise say $150? The idea can be that if you order 50-100 on that website it's only $.99 per band (unless you want glow in the dark, which would be cool!) so the gift for a $2 kickstarter donation will be the wristband. The donations should cover the cost of 100 bands w/ shipping plus how much it would cost you to mail out the wristbands to the individuals.

    I'm not super familiar with kickstarter so I don't know if it's weird for the actual kickstarter project to be to pay for the donation gifts, but it seems like a reasonable idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good job for someone else. haha

    It *would* be fun to do a Kickstarter project.

    ReplyDelete