Monday, October 21, 2013

Return of Robo!

Whew, what a weekend!

For the first time in many months, Roberto was able to enjoy life outside of the house.  Sure, we had lots of fun with friends and family visiting us, but after the oncologist gave Roberto his approval for resuming life's more adventurous activities, Roberto dashed out the door.

On Saturday, Roberto, Jim and I went to the Hidden Falls Regional Park in Auburn for a hike on the numerous, scenic trails there.  The fall *is* totally hidden and we didn't see it during this trip (there's only one trail from which you can view the falls).  The park has several easy and moderate trails, and (bonus!) there were a bunch of brand new trails that were developed a couple of months ago.  Roberto was super eager to hike around the trails and kicked my butt!  Okay, we should all keep in mind that I had gone out for a run the day before and my legs were still sore from it.  That's my excuse story.  In total, we hiked an astounding 8.33 miles and still didn't cover all the new trails.  We'll definitely have to go back there some time to explore more.

We followed that activity with laziness: a How I Met Your Mother marathon thanks to Netflix.  Thanks, Netflix!  Amanda stopped by to accompany our viewing of season 8's journey of Ted and friends.  It was a good, relaxing way to end the day.

Wrapping up the weekend was a trip to the shooting range on Sunday!  I didn't go because I'm a little scared to handle a gun and I wanted to not use my legs anymore.  I'm pretty sure my legs were close to falling off my body.  Roberto went with Adam and Tania.  Roberto showed me the targets from the range and claimed that he was the best shot.  Suuuuure.  Also, he wants to hang the target posters in the bedroom.  That's *not* going to happen.  NO WAY.

Anyway, I'm glad Roberto is able to do all those fun things.  It's been such a long time since he's done something other than video games, board games, and watching TV.  Also, we don't know when the surgery will be, and he might not be able to do those things again until the next calendar year.  :(  One thing he is excited to do again is running.  He so desperately wants to run again.  He's planned a soccer date with Adam for this Saturday.  I guess that's a step in the right direction?  Well, at least this way he won't be miles from home if he gets too tired.


No comments:

Post a Comment