Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Chemo - Cycle 3 - Day 2 - More of the Same

I can't believe it's only been two days of the infusion week.  Roberto still has difficulty keeping food down and the anti-nausea medication seems to have minimal effect on him.  However, I don't know how must worse it would be if he wasn't taking the anti-nausea medication at all.  The oncologist stated that patients on similar chemo drugs as Roberto would vomit the entire week of infusion.  That seems to be more and more true for Roberto as we continue with the chemotherapy.

Roberto also had trouble sleeping last night.  A few of the anti-nausea medications make him restless.  His leg starts twitching and I think he wakes himself up.  At least, it wakes me up when he lightly kicks me and then I let out a little grunt or cry and *that* probably wakes him up.  It basically becomes a chain of sleep-inhibiting actions.  I gave him a quick back massage before bed today - we'll see if that does the trick.

The nurse told us in July, at the beginning of chemotherapy, that it might help to set goals for each day so it felt as though something was accomplished.  I used to set goals of eating a certain amount of food but that doesn't even seem feasible anymore with Roberto unable to finish half a pint of smoothie.  Tomorrow (Wednesday), Roberto will be given new anti-nausea medication.  I hope that it will allow Roberto to eat more than a single pear and two crackers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment