Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Chemo - Cycle 1 - Day 3 - (Not) Hungry Like the Wolf

Today we encountered some new side effects.  Roberto had a stomachache at the beginning of the day and also had a decreased appetite.  For the first time since I've known Roberto, I watched him take tiny bites of his Nugget sandwich instead of gigantic mouthfuls at a time. I'm so used to him eating two humongous meals for a day and now it's a slight struggle to get him to eat a few small meals.  We were expecting him to have a decreased appetite at some point but this seems too soon.  

He's also slept the entire day away like a hibernating bear.  I don't think he was awake today for more than ... an hour ... or half an hour ... at a time.  Another fun thing since his cancer treatment has started (or maybe when he starting taking cough medicine) is the little sighs he makes while sleeping.  He had a conversation last night with someone:  "Hhhhhuuuhhn.  Huuhhn huuun hhum.  Hhhnnn."  These conversations have done wonders for my sleep and also amuse Adam and me when we keep Roberto company at the Infusion Center.

I realized today that I might have glazed over some of the specifics of Roberto's chemotherapy.  Roberto will have 12 weeks of chemo.  This will consist of 4 cycles.  Each cycle is 5 days of chemo drugs and 16 days of rest (that's 21 days for those of you playing along).  So, just TWO MORE DAYS of chemo drugs for this cycle!

Keep those well wishes coming.  Roberto can't check his emails as often since his eyes seem more comfortable with the lids shut, but I'm more than happy to pass along your messages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment